(Woodland, CA) – Professional artists in Northern California with experience in the design, fabrication, and installation of public artworks are invited to submit qualifications and design proposals for a permanent, public art installation at the Yolo Branch Library, which serves the rural communities of Yolo, Zamora, and Dunnigan. The Library is being rebuilt and replacing the previous 100-year-old Carnegie building.
The groundbreaking for the new construction of the Yolo Branch Library is planned for July 2021 and will provide: a community room for library programs; public access computers; meeting space; adult literacy tutoring; childhood literacy programs and homework help; social activities for adults and seniors; a variety of classes; and access to community services. The project is expected to be completed in early summer of 2022.
Three publicly accessible areas of the new facility have been identified by the Art Advisory Committee for public art enhancements within the budget guidelines of this project. These are considered the most suitable for placement of artwork to aesthetically enhance the project for the patrons of the facility. Artist proposals can address one or all three locations. Artwork selected for the project should:
- Draw inspiration and context from the place and people of the rural communities of Yolo, Dunnigan and Zamora, which includes acknowledging the region’s agricultural heritage;
- Be reflective of the library’s role as a community gathering place and hub of civic engagement and education;
- Inspire discovery and the creation of new memories among a diverse and multi- generational community;
- Instill community values of respect and appreciation for the indigenous Patwin people, including their past and continued cultural contribution and preservation of the region’s natural resources; and
- Consider the design and architecture of the site.
A budget of $25,600 is available for this public art project. Costs such as artist fees, fabrication, insurance, shipping, travel, installation, and documentation must remain within the maximum budget amount.
Artists will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Outstanding innovation, creativity and originality in the development of public art;
- A history of successfully designing and implementing permanent public projects on time and within budget;
- Design excellence in past work, including originality of concept, site contact and quality of workmanship and materials, as evidence in images of completed projects;
- The ability to respond creatively and uniquely to site-specific design challenges, including the social, physical and environmental condition and challenges inherent to each project;
- Expertise in identifying and working with permanent materials appropriate for long-term use in an interior or exterior environment that is subject to varying weather conditions and heavy public access;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively positively with public agencies, public review processes and community organizations;
- Ability to design art that meets the thematic, project description with artistic merit;
- Ability to meet this project timeline for creation and installation of work.
Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, July 16, 2021 at 10:59 p.m. PST through CaFÉ at: www.callforentry.org. No late entries, verbal quotes or facsimiles will be accepted. The complete request for qualifications and proposals is available at: https://yoloarts.org/call-for-art/.
A selection panel will review all artists’ qualifications and design proposals and recommend a finalist and design(s) to the Board of Supervisors for approval in September 2021. Installation of the selected artwork is expected in May 2022.
YoloArts is Yolo County’s art consultant facilitating selecting, commissioning, placing, maintaining, and de-accessing works of art using a community-based process based on models used by arts organizations throughout the country. All questions regarding this project should be directed to YoloArts Executive Director Alison Flory at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 599-2305.